Antenatal course content
Our WOW! Hypnobirthing course is a complete antenatal course over two days for all pregnant women and their birth partners. We aim to help you reduce any fears and build your confidence through a combination of clear explanation and physical practice. You will prepare your mind and body for a calm, confident birth, however and wherever your baby is born. Birth partners will come away with deeper understanding and skills to help them to feel and be useful, knowing not just what to do but when to do it. We'll help the two of you work as a team.
The course can be taken as part of a small group (max 5 couples) or privately.
All courses include a course pack with exclusive downloads with your course leader's voice rather than a stranger's, course notes, information sheets, a good book about birth and hypnobirthing and a list of things you can do at home to make your new skills and mindset even more effective. If you need any extra support or information we're just an email away and are available to you until just after your baby's birth.
Everything you learn can be used in any birth setting - at home, at a birth centre or in hospital - and whether or not medical help is needed during your labour.
The course is a mixture of theory and practice, linking mind and body, and everything is aimed both at pregnant women and their birth partners. The course includes:
- What hypnosis is - and what it isn't!
- Theory (how it works) and practice (how it applies to you) of hypnosis and hypnobirthing
- An exploration of your own particular concerns and preferences for birth
- Deep relaxation and self-hypnosis
- How to enhance the flow of your labour hormones
- The impact of fear and stress
- Adaptation of the birth environment to your benefit
- Breathing, relaxation and working with your body
- Signs of early labour and what to do when
- When labour doesn't start on its own: induction process and options
- Physical process of labour and birth
- Techiques for rapid relaxation - relax "now", not in 20 minutes' time
- Positions and movement for more comfortable birth
- Massage for relaxation and comfort
- Working with your health professionals
- Writing and using affirmations
- Creation of an ongoing "birth action plan"
Most couples prefer to take the course a couple of months before their baby is due. This allows for plenty of time to practise what you learn and it will feel relevant to your stage of pregnancy. Some people prefer to take the course closer to their due date so it all feels fresher and others prefer to take it sooner to give themselves longer to practise. Or it may be that one set of course dates suits you better than others. It's your choice!